For thousands of years, from China to Nashville, massage has been a healthy and effective way to relax, reduce stress, and reap its many healthy benefits. It’s no wonder that it’s still around, and our medical massage services continues to be one of our most popular offerings. But there’s always a first time for everything, and maybe you’ve never gotten a massage before.
We guarantee you’ll love it, but read on for a few helpful suggestions to make your first massage wonderful.
- Don’t have a large meal just before your massage is scheduled. Ideally, you want your body to have the time to comfortably digest the last thing you ate.
- One of the reasons for a massage is to reduce stress. If you’re running late and you arrive feeling stressed, it will take more time for you to relax. Do yourself a favor and arrive a few minutes early.
- Before your session, make sure to go over with your massage therapist your health information and reasons why you’re having it done. If you’re experiencing pain in specific areas, say something so your therapist can focus on that area.
- Some massage therapist utilize oils, powders, and lotions in order to reduce friction on the skin. If you’re allergic to any of those, let your therapist know.
- Your therapist will provide privacy for you to get undressed prior to the massage. Remember, only take off as much clothing as you’re comfortable removing. If you don’t want to remove clothing, no problem! Just make sure you wear clothes that are comfortable and will allow the therapist to touch the parts of your body that need massaging.
- People frequently stop breathing or slow down breathing when a sensitive area is being massaged. Try to breathe normally.
- After your massage has finished, make sure to drink plenty of water to stay hydrated.